November 23, 2010

Apres Surf Hoodie

Posted in Finished Objects at 7:22 pm by merknits

I present the Apres Surf Hoodie, nearly a year in the making:

Apres Surf Hoodie Finished

Apres Surf Hoodie Back

Pattern: Apres Surf Hoodie by Connie Chang Chinchio from Interweave Knits, Summer 2008
Yarn: Rowan 4 Ply Soft (I don’t know how many balls – I think 7 – but it wasn’t enough anyway)
Notes: According to Ravelry, I started this on December 29, 2009.  I’m not sure why it took me so long to finish – I guess all of the lace and small needles.  But it is done, and I like it!  The yarn is super soft, though I was not happy with the fact that the yarn was nearly broken in a lot of places in most of the balls.  Obviously I didn’t calculate my yardage correctly and ended up not being able to do the hood or the i-cord bind off.  But overall, it is definitely wearable.  It also grew a lot after blocking, which is good because it was way too short before that.  Now that I’m done, I’m looking forward to some easier knitting with thicker yarn!

I just noticed how tired I look in the FO picture – it’s been a long couple of weeks!  I’m happy to have a few days off for the Thanksgiving weekend.  Hope everyone who celebrates has a nice break as well!

November 15, 2010

My Ruffled Dress

Posted in Finished Objects, Sewing at 7:36 pm by merknits

Another work-in-progress I neglected to mention!

Ruffle Dress Finished

Ruffle Dress Finished Back

Pattern: McCall’s M5972, View C
Fabric: Gray/Burgundy Red Suiting from Fashion Fabrics Club
Notes: Although I don’t watch Glee, I love checking in on What Would Emma Pilsbury Wear? for all of the cute outfits.  I fell in love with this dress and wanted to try to recreate it – I searched around and found the pattern on sale, which was pretty darn close.  Soon after, I found this posting and loved her Anthropologie inspiration as well!  Unfortunately I should have paid more attention to her notes before attempting the pattern.  The use of heavier fabric for the ruffles does indeed weigh down the neck, and even without one of the ruffles, the lining kept flipping out.  Eventually I had to take the lining out entirely and did a bias neckband.  This is by far the most complicated thing I’ve sewn so far, and I’m pretty happy with it.  I think I could have gone down a size, especially on the top, but the muslin that I did in a smaller size seemed too small.  You can see a bit of fabric bunching in the back, and I’m debating whether or not to try to fix it.  Considering how long this took me, I think I’ll leave it!

Next up, a finally finished Apres Surf Hoodie!