July 27, 2009

Flutter Sleeve Cardigan

Posted in Finished Objects, Project Spectrum at 10:55 am by merknits

Just as I complain about not getting much knitting done, I finish another project!

flutter sleeve cardigan

flutter sleeve cardigan back

flutter sleeve cardigan side

Pattern: Flutter Sleeve Cardigan from Interweave Knits Spring 2008
Yarn: Vermont Organic Fiber Company O-Wool Balance (about 6.5 skeins)
Notes: Aside from the fact that the sleeves are not fluttery (maybe baggy), I like the final product. I made a slightly smaller size than the smallest written (36″) by knitting at a tighter gauge. I think I would have been fine with the 36″ though, as the button bands are pulling a bit now. I think I will have to reinforce the buttonholes before I can wear it.  Oh, and somehow the short row ribbing ended up taller on one front piece than the other.  I’m not sure if I misread something or if my gauge just changed, but I don’t think it’s too noticeable.

The yarn looks nice knitted up and softens a bit after washing, but knitting with it is another story. Very stiff and hard on my hands and wrists, especially with size 5 needles. But I love the color and the tweedy look of the knitted fabric.

I just cast on for the Josephine Top last night, and I’m hoping that I can finish before summer is over. I’m actually quite looking forward to planning some fall and winter knitting this year – I’ll have to update my stash to include some wool!

July 24, 2009

Barnyard Booties

Posted in Finished Objects at 12:06 pm by merknits

I’m very happy with these – good for a baby shower gift, don’t you think?

sheep booties

sheep close up

cute sheep tails

Pattern: Barnyard Booties, originally published in Interweave Knits, Summer 2000 but available as part of the “Baby Knitting Patterns” pdf from Knitting Daily
Yarn: Dale of Norway Baby Ull
Notes: Very cute and fairly quick pattern. It has some tricky parts that require picking up loops from the WS and knitting them together with live stitches, but I found that putting the WS loops on a slightly smaller dpn and then knitting that together with the working dpn made it not so bad. You can see that I did a better job of that on the bottom of the face of the guy on the left than on the right, but that’s ok. I might make another pair of these for another friend who will be having a baby soon!

July 13, 2009

Hooray for summer!*

Posted in Finished Objects, Sewing at 4:13 pm by merknits

It took me a little while, but I have a finished Mendocino Sundress:

mendocino sundress

mendocino sundress back

While the sewing wasn’t too hard overall, I had some issues with this one. First of all, I couldn’t get the pattern to print correctly from the pdf. Someone left a comment on Heather Ross’ blog about pasting the pdf as an object in an Excel spreadsheet, which ended up working out for me.

I started out sewing the smaller size and got through the first few rows of elastic when I decided to try it on. I couldn’t even get it over my shoulders! Either I put together and cut out the pattern pages incorrectly or the sizing is way off. It didn’t seem like others who made the pattern had sizing issues, so I’m thinking it may have been user error. So, I decided I really should have made a muslin anyway and set to work making a larger size with an old sheet. After figuring out the size I really should have made, I tried again with this cute green and brown printed cotton from Joann Fabrics. I’m quite happy with the final version, and am looking forward to wearing it during this gorgeous weather that we’ve been having!

*I can say this now that I’m not in Houston where it’s been a million degrees every day.

July 5, 2009

Not much knitting

Posted in In Progress, Sewing at 2:21 pm by merknits

I had thought that with the limited amount of time I’ve been working (around 2 hours a day, and from home) I would have plenty of time to finish knitting projects. Somehow, that hasn’t really happened. I did cast on for the Flutter Sleeve Cardigan from IK Spring 2008 using Vermont Organic Fiber Company O-Wool Balance and am about halfway done:

flutter sleeve back

I also set up the sewing machine and spent a while making a new purse for my sister. Luckily, I ordered extra fabric because the first purse I made ended up being a “test” version after I cut the fabric the wrong way (oops). The final version turned out pretty well though, I think:

flea market bag

flea market bag2

The pattern is the Flea Market Bag by Tanya Whelan (one of her Grand Revival patterns). I think it is a good, basic bag pattern for novice sewers like myself, and there are several sizes and strap options included. This is the small bag with the regular shoulder strap. I modified it by adding a magnetic snap and using heavy home decor fabric to hopefully make it a bit more durable.

I’ve got a bunch of summery cotton fabric from a trip to the fabric store with my mother-in-law, so hopefully I can finish a couple fun sundresses before the summer is over!